[Adium-devl] Connect/Disconnect Enable/Disable etc.

Evan Schoenberg evan at adiumx.com
Thu Jul 27 17:46:31 UTC 2006

So it seems like the single biggest complaint, and it's been a fairly
common one, we've gotten about the 1.0 betas has to do with the
changed connect/disconnect enable/disable behavior.

Adium 0.8x behavior:
  * Autoconnect at startup if and only if 'autoconnect' is checked,
within the account's preferences
  * With one or more accounts online, changing the global status
changes only the online accounts
  * With no accounts online, changing the global status brings, well,
a fairly random selection of accounts online
  * No ability to disable accounts

Adium 1.0b7 behavior:
  * Autoconnect all enabled accounts when starting up
  * Changing the global status brings all enabled accounts into the
specified state, taking them online if necessary
  * Disabled accounts are never affected by global status changes.
Changing a disable account to any online state both enables it and
brings it online
  * Enabling a disabled account brings it online (in the current
global status)
  * Disabling an enabled accounts takes it offline

I feel like we've seen a fair number of useage cases that are actual
arguments for some compromise between the two (versus just people
being used to the old way of doing things).  The fact that we've
started resorted to telling people to hold shift while starting up
Adium to avoid autoconnect as a "solution" also makes me think we
should reevaluate this... nothing that subtle should ever be a
serious solution to a problem.

Proposal:
  * Bring back autoconnect as a per-account preference.  Newly added
accounts default to autoconnecting.
  * When starting up, autoconnect all accounts which are both
(autoconnect == TRUE) and (enabled == TRUE)
  * With one or more accounts online, changing the global status
changes only the online accounts
  * With no accounts online, changing the global status... here's the
tricky part.
	* If multiple accounts were last taken offline simultaneously by
selecting the global Offline status, reconnect just those accounts
	* If only one account was previously online, reconnect just that
account.

Thoughts?

-Evan