[Adium-devl] Connect/Disconnect Enable/Disable etc.

Evan Schoenberg evan.s at dreskin.net
Fri Jul 28 21:04:20 UTC 2006

On Jul 28, 2006, at 4:46 PM, Christopher Forsythe wrote:

> On Jul 27, 2006, at 8:45 PM, Peter Hosey wrote:
>
>> On Jul 27, 2006, at 10:46:31, Evan Schoenberg wrote:
>>> The fact that we've started resorted to telling people to hold
>>> shift while starting up Adium to avoid autoconnect as a "solution"
>>> also makes me think we should reevaluate this... nothing that
>>> subtle should ever be a serious solution to a problem.
>>
>> So we add a checkbox for that, with the shift key inverting it.
>>
>> Is there anything else wrong with the 1.0 system? It works
>> perfectly for me.
>
> Bah, a checkbox for this shouldn't be needed.

"that" and "this" are what? Autoconnect?  Or something else?

> How hard would adding profiles with network connection in them be
> within accounts?
I'd prefer to think of it as Account Groups for future discussion, as
I think it matches useage a lot better than 'profiles' which
generally have a feeling of being mutually exclusive whereas zero or
more Account  Groups would be used at any given time.

Probably not particularly hard, though nontrivial.

> The problem for most of these folks seems to be just
> due to network constraints.
The proxy band, yes, it's network stuff.  They're a very very small
number, though, because having your accounts follow the systemwide
preference works fine for most folks.

The more common argument, which I care about a lot more, generally
centers around Work vs. Personal accounts... usually mutually
exclusive groups.

> I have an idea for the UI of it if
> someone is interested, but I think it would resolve the problem as a
> possible action.
What'd you have in mind?  My picture of it is much like the way
groups are done in the Status preferences.

> - Profiles could specify the avatar for multiple different kinds of
> accounts. This would possibly tread into the area of the personal
> preferences, possibly not.
This might be needlessly increasing complexity.

> - Profiles could specify a proxy for multiple different kinds of
> accounts. http://forums.cocoaforge.com/viewtopic.php?p=68664#68664
> hilights why this might be necessary.
Then again, once the user has accounts within a group set the way he
wants -- which generally should just be 'systemwide default' --
that's all that's needed.

> I don't think it's something we should do for 1.0 unless it's super
> easy, but it might also give us what we need to resolve people's
> problems with the new system.

I don't think we can ship 1.0 as-is, honestly, given the big negative
response we've heard in the limited userbase of 1.0 beta thus far.

-Evan