[Adium-devl] Fwd: Bonjour support in Adium

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Apr 4 16:51:24 UTC 2007

Evan Schoenberg wrote:
> Peter,
>
> On Apr 4, 2007, at 12:34 PM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>
>>  so now is the time to provide your feedback! :)
>>

> I'm no XMPP expert, so please bear with me if this is a ridiculous question.
>
> Section 6, Capabilities Discovery, states that we shouldn't use Entity
> Capabilities for capabilities discovery.  Would sending an iq of type
> 'get' for <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#info'/> not be
> an appropriate way to learn from a contact what they can support?

It would. But then you need to open up an XML stream and that's going to
end up causing lots of bandwidth usage. Better to advertise the
capabilities in new TXT records, which you're going to check anyway.

> My
> testing against iChat has shown that iChat replies:
> <error type="501">Client has no handler for IQ type get namespace
> http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#info</error>

iChat does support entity capabilities. It's odd that it won't do
disco#info in your tests, will check that on my machine.

> which is to say that it doesn't support anything.  On the other hand,
> iChat supports voice/video (I think via a proprietary protocol at this
> point,

Their stuff is based on SIP IIRC.

> though it would be fantastic for iChat to adopt Jingle or another
> open standard if that's the case) and somehow can tell if the other side
> does, as well.

I think it's probably too late for that in Leopard.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
XMPP Standards Foundation