[Adium-devl] Let's abandon disk images

Evan Schoenberg evan at adiumx.com
Tue Apr 10 00:16:51 UTC 2007

On Apr 9, 2007, at 6:07 PM, Peter Hosey wrote:

> On Apr 09, 2007, at 14:58:41, Phil Dokas wrote:
>> … could we not offer a "Move and Relaunch" button in the dialog?
>
> Copy and Relaunch, but yeah, I believe that's what's being discussed.
>
> I think we're all on board with the internet-enabled disk-image as
> solution #1, but it'd be nice to have this dialog as a fall-back
> for the rest of us—a gentle reminder to those who know, and an
> important point to learn for those who don't (most likely, Windows
> switchers who download Firefox rather than use the built-in browser).
I like the current disk image.  For the vast majority of users [*],
it provides an attractive and understandable first-blush impression
of Adium.  Much more attractive than the app being dumped on the
desktop.  The dialogue is a solution to being able to maintain an
attractive disk image while still idiotproofing the process.

[*] About 800,000 downloads of 1.0.1, and 600,000 downloads so far of
1.0.2, and we got perhaps 25 support requests related to disk image
misunderstandings in that time frame.  Let's say there are 500 people
who have a problem for every 1 who reports it. That's 12500 people...
or a 97.9% success rate for 1.0.2's attractive disk image.

-Evan