[Adium-devl] Merges and Merge Practices

Augie Fackler lists at durin42.com
Tue Jul 31 15:08:12 UTC 2007

Hey all,

I know I haven't gotten to writing any kind of merging best practices
yet, but r20440 reminds me of one:

Don't cherry-pick changes from trunk. The Right Way is to merge all
changes from trunk in contiguous blocks, that way you don't end up
with merge conflicts. The only sane time to cherry pick is when a
given branch will never merge back in, like the 1.1 branch.

Note that this particular practice is good practice anyway, but will
be less mandatory in 1.5 when merge tracking is available.

On a related note, I'd like to do another merge from trunk to SoC
branches. Does anyone *not* want a merge?

Peace,
Augie