[Adium-devl] GSoC 2007 student branches

Chris Forsythe chris at adiumx.com
Wed May 30 23:48:53 UTC 2007

On May 30, 2007, at 6:31 PM, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:

> On May 30, 2007, at 6:29 PM, Chris Forsythe wrote:
>

>> On May 30, 2007, at 4:06 PM, Colin Barrett wrote:
>>
>>> I don't want to get into the headache of having 1.0.5 come out after
>>> 1.1. That just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
>>
>> I don't see how it doesn't make sense. I believe the apache
>> project used the approach and didn't have a lot of problems with
>> it (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
>>
>> Chris
>

> 	If I may weigh in, Adium and Apache serve two almost diametrically
> opposed publics. People who download apache builds/sources are
> either sysadmins, packagers and/or developers and therefore are
> likely to understand multiple releases of the same product existing
> concurrently, including a seemingly "older" release (1.4.4) being
> "released" after a "newer" one (Apache 2.0). Adium users, on the
> contrary, are most probably traditional Mac users who, not
> necessarily underestimating them, only want to click on buttons and
> open menus; in my opinion they are likely to be confused by this
> "release disorder", as I think they'll see it. So based on that, I
> do believe releasing Adium 1.0.5 after 1.1 doesn't make much
> sense.... for the likely Adium public at least.
>
> 	Again, just my thoughts ;-)

That's very true.

Let's look at a for instance here. What if there's a bug in 1.0.5
that causes big problems? It's not like we're going to replace the
1.1 stuff on macupdate with 1.0.6, we'd just update the appcast and
update the "if you have 10.3..." url on the front page to be 1.0.6
(if we had a 1.0.6).

What if we had a 1.0.x appcast and a 1.1+ appcast?

Chris