[Adium-devl] Status of the 1.2svn search field?

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Wed Sep 5 16:58:41 UTC 2007

On Sep 5, 2007, at 12:23 PM, Chris Forsythe wrote:

> So here's the plan:
>
> 1) Augie is doing merges tomorrow morning
>
> 2) Branching trunk prior to the merges is crucial

	What do you need a branch of trunk for? If your intention is to
provide a fail safe snapshot of the source tree before the tide
arrives, then what you're looking for is really a tag, something by
the name of /tags/pre-gsoc2007-merge or anything to that effect.

	Other than that, I'm not an svn god but I do have some experience
merging some stuff back and forth. I don't know if I'll be around
tomorrow but if I am I would be most glad to lend a hand if you guys
need any extra man power. Only hindrance is that I don't know the
Adium source tree very well, but in any case I'd think any of you
could help me through that very easily.

	Lastly, what is that patch Augie is working on for? Subversion
itself? Other than dealing with a large and complex tree, this
merging process is no different from many others that take place
daily (imagine the gcc tree!), so I guess I don't understand why what
seems to me like so many preparations are underway (please do correct
me if I'm wrong). Conflicts will arise at merge time and people in
control of branches have to deal with them, just as in any other
merge. All this business would have been easier from the start if
svnmerge.py had been used, but it is just occurring to me that,
should you guys decide to give it a go, we could still try to go down
that path. Trust me, it simplifies the merge process a great deal by
keeping a record of what has been merged already and what is still
pending (on a revision per revision basis); you can also block things
from being merged (thus disappearing from the pending list), do
bidirectional merges and "record only" merges (for stuff that has
been merged manually already), so as you can see the tool can be
quite flexible. All in all, I really recommend it!

	Regards,...

-jmpp