[Adium-devl] Version Control - To change or not to change? THAT is the question!

Evan Schoenberg evan.s at dreskin.net
Wed Jan 2 19:25:50 UTC 2008

On Jan 2, 2008, at 12:27 PM, Peter Hosey wrote:

>> the one caveat would be that you can't do that form of diff for
>> commits which have been made locally but not pushed, and you'd need
>> to pull from the server after pushing for the tags to be available.
>
> This all seems like a lot of hackery to get monotonic rev numbers,
> and it doesn't even completely do the job. Meanwhile, there are
> other DVCSs (bzr and hg) that provide them natively.

Sure.  I've supported monotone solely out of familiarity.  Really,
while it is somewhat nice to use the same version control system as
libpurple, I'm not sure of an actual advantage to it besides not
requiring folks who want to hack on it to have a second tool
installed.  We should pick the best tool given the knowledge we have
and go with that.

Adding some data to the mix for our comparisons: http://www.ada-france.org/debian/distributed-version-control-systems.html
  has a brief summary of the architecture and a comparison of the
storage efficiency of CVS, Meta-CVS, bzr, mercurial, monotone, and
cogito.

-Evan