[Adium-devl] Version Control - To change or not to change? THAT is the question!

Peter Hosey boredzo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 20:01:11 UTC 2008

On Jan 02, 2008, at 11:25:50, Evan Schoenberg wrote:
> I've supported monotone solely out of familiarity.  Really, while
> it is somewhat nice to use the same version control system as
> libpurple, I'm not sure of an actual advantage to it besides not
> requiring folks who want to hack on it to have a second tool
> installed.

That's why, once we pick a DVCS, we should see about convincing the
Pidgin-side libpurple developers to switch to it. ☺

> We should pick the best tool given the knowledge we have and go
> with that.

Agreed.

> Adding some data to the mix for our comparisons: http://www.ada-
> france.org/debian/distributed-version-control-systems.html

Looks pretty well out-of-date. It says bzr-ng (which is deprecated
now) doesn't have tags; bzr 1.0 does have tags.

> CVS, Meta-CVS, bzr, mercurial, monotone, and cogito.

More out-of-dateness: Cogito is deprecated. My understanding is that
Git's UI stopped sucking, so there was no need for Cogito anymore.