[Adium-devl] MSNp15 (libpurple im.pidgin.pidgin) in Adium 1.3.x

Evan Schoenberg evan.s at dreskin.net
Thu Sep 11 10:31:41 UTC 2008

On Sep 10, 2008, at 11:31 PM, John Bailey wrote:

> Peter Hosey wrote:
>> On Sep 10, 2008, at 15:46:16, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>>> I would like Adium to support external libpurple plugins …
>>
>> It does. The IRC plug-in was one such plug-in.
>
> I believe he meant without needing Adium-specific wrappers.  As an
> example,
> using Pidgin or Finch, I can drop a libpurple plugin in the .purple/
> plugins
> directory (or if I were so inclined, the system-wide plugins
> directory) and it
> magically just works; this doesn't work in Adium, as I and another
> Pidgin
> developer discussed at length in #adium-devl not too long ago.

The "adium-specific wrapper" is pretty trivial to write - much more so
than figuring out a way to implement the complete pidgin UI callbacks
such that we offer them to plugins but don't present Pidgin-style UI
in every situation that currently we provide our own (read: the latter
is almost certainly not going to happen).

-Evan