[Adium-devl] Fwd: update python for leopard

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Thu Feb 26 19:27:47 UTC 2009

	One of the problems is that Nicholas is trying to juggle many things
at the same time, and without proper direction is hard to get started
if you're not even acquainted with the tools you're supposed to master
in order to learn others.

	This list is centered around Adium development so it's not
appropriate for these type of questions, which at the time being are
mostly UNIX & Terminal related. So I wont prolong the thread, but if I
may I'd like to at least give Nicholas a small suggestion that may get
him started and busy for a while with many of the things he's eager to
learn ;-)

	Nicholas, first and foremost I'd recommend learning your way around
the Mac OS X Terminal application and the world of UNIX and the shell.
It may not give you direct programming knowledge right up, but what's
certain, or at least in my opinion, is that you'll have a much harder
time becoming an experienced developer if you're not fluent in a
shell. It's been very long since I last turned to Amazon for help on
the subject, but I'm sure Google could give you a much cheaper head
start:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=unix+101&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en-us&q=unix+tutorial&btnG=Search
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en-us&q=shell+tutorial&btnG=Search

	Those searches will surely give you plenty of material to work with,
and I'm sure the road will become clearer once you're at least
somewhat proficient at working your way around the terminal. In any
case, I'm sure there are more appropriate places to discuss this type
of material:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en-us&q=unix+beginner+mailing+list&btnG=Search

	Good luck and have fun! Regards,...

- jmpp