Design decisions for new Protocol: Adium vs Libpurple

Bob Tanner tanner at real-time.com
Sat Jun 26 19:34:00 UTC 2010

I'm looking to read more on adding a new protocol to Adium as a plugin.

In particular more information regarding writing the plugin in Adium
(like Services > Twitter, or Services > Bonjour) vs Libpurple.

The  current client is written in C and is tightly integrated to the
server code base.  Initial attempts to make a client library (similar
to Bonjour's libezv) have lead to the decision to write a client
protocol library outside of the current server code base.

Should I write the plugin in Adium (Objc) or look to wrap it inside libpurple?

Where can I find more information regarding the trade-offs between
Adium native(?) plugins vs libpurple plugin?

Does one API lend itself to new protocols better then the other?

As I understand it, libpurple plugin would give a larger selection of
IM front-ends (pidgin, finch, Adium). Does it give me more?

Thank you for any advise.

--
Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com>                  | Phone : (952 943-8700
http://www.real-time.com, Linux, OSX, VMware | Fax   : (952)943-8500