msn-pecan 0.1 good enough?

Zachary West zacw at adium.im
Wed Mar 24 15:27:13 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 20:56, Evan Schoenberg, M.D. <evan at adium.im> wrote:

> *Especially* because of the slow rate, we shouldn't make a major change
> like this for 1.4.  We need to finish up the few remaining minor problems
> and get 1.4 out the door.
>
> There's no reason this couldn't be considered for the next immediate
> release after 1.4, but even with a promise of "there are no regressions" I
> guarantee something would come up with a change of this scope.
>
> -Evan

Agreed, I'm strongly in favor of using msn-pecan in a future release, but
1.4 needs to get out the door without any extra effort. Largely Twitter is
blocking it right now, but I have a free weekend next week (I think; this
semester ends the first week of May, so I will gain a significant (15+
hours/week!) increase in free time) where I can sit down, apply the User
List patch, fix the timeline, and hopefully throw out rc1; localizations are
in, the message styles appear almost done, and I don't care about the
contact-list drag/drop meta contact issues enough to block 1.4 on it.

In the mean time, Felipe, you can issue an Adium plugin by loosely
subclassing the ESMSNAccount and implementing an prpl-msn-pecan MSN service;
it shouldn't be that hard to release it as a standard plugin (almost exactly
the same as a Libpurple plugin) and present the advantages to the users for
1.3 and 1.4 betas without any effort on our part.

We used msn-pecan in the past, and largely switched away for libpurple's MSN
being brought up to par. It's still about the same as it was then, but has
had a host of security exploits as of late, and msn-pecan appears to be at a
higher level of maintenance.

--
Zachary West