GPL and the Mac App Store

Sean Egan seanegan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 22:37:56 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Colin Barrett
<colin at springsandstruts.com> wrote:
> Legal language aside, the code signing and receipt system is tied to each individual machine, even for free applications.

I don't know anything about the App Store. Are code signing and
receipts useful for non-paid applications, or is there just no special
case in place to avoid it? It's just assumed people will want to know
how many total installations they have and whatnot?

> Apple wants you to buy / download copies of applications through their online store which not an onerous requirement these days but the GPLv2 at least was written and designed in a world where most software came on floppies and ordering another copy might take weeks thus their insistence on being able to distribute binary copies to "help your neighbor".

Until the App Store shuts down, of course ;)