Icon update proposal

Ryan Govostes ryan at adium.im
Mon Jan 24 03:07:11 UTC 2011

I am a little surprised by the results; I find that many icons that are quite similar have very different scores. Maybe others feel more strongly about these?

emoticon32.png
65% - Bogdan
0% - George
35% - current

info.png
69% - Bogdan
15% - George
15% - current

pref-general.png
50% - Bogdan
8% - George
42% - current

AddressBook.png
46% - Bogdan
8% - George
46% - current

emoticon32_transparent.png
8% - George
46% - current

remove.png
63% - Bogdan
38% - current

A couple other comments:

1. While Bogdan's pref-appearance.png is similar to the Appearance preference pane icon, the original icon (two feathers of different colors) is something unique to Adium that I would miss if it were replaced.

2. I've always liked the use of Adiumy's silhouette in place of the shadowy Mac OS X man. It too is a nice touch that builds a better identity for our app.

3. I like George's pref-mention.png icon metaphor better than Bogdan's (which won), because it indicates what the feature does --- highlight messages.

4. I'm not a fan of any of the pref-status.png metaphors. The old sign one sort of made sense, and I understand the "do-not-disturb" sign that Bogdan was going for. I don't have a suggestion; it seems like it is a tricky one.

5. For pref-contactList.png, I'd like to see a combination of Bogdan's and George's work.

6. For pref-advanced.png, George's take on the current version loses the joke that made the original make sense --- the fact that the chalkboard says E=mc^2. That said, I do like his icon and I'd approve of it anyway.

7. For linkToolbar.png, George's is closer to the icon used iWork, but I'd prefer the arrow facing to the right so as not to make it seem like an undo button or reply or something like that. Bogdan's is also nice.

-- Ryan