GPL and the Mac App Store

Christopher Forsythe chris at growl.info
Tue Jan 11 23:16:54 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 5:07 PM, Evan Schoenberg, M.D.
<evan.s at dreskin.net> wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2011, at 4:59 PM, Christopher Forsythe wrote:
>
>> Can any of the libraries be taken out of adium in order to reduce this
>> number? One would assume that adium will need to change anyhow to go
>> into the applestore.
>>
>> I'm willing to give contacting them all a try if the appeal to apple
>> process doesn't work, but I'd need an exact list of which libraries
>> would be necessary going to the app store.
>
> I appreciate the offer, but as Stephen said, there are some big libraries involved which by themselves would be an insurmountable obstacle.  libpurple alone lists 556 contributors, without email addresses, in its COPYRIGHT file.

I'm still willing to try it. I don't think Apple is going to change
their license, and at least we could say we tried.

I realize how big of a task this is, but I'm still willing to attempt it.

The alternative to all of this of course is to replace the parts that
make relicensing a major issue.