GPL and the Mac App Store

Zachary West zacw at adium.im
Tue Jan 11 23:16:56 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 18:08, Christopher Forsythe <chris at growl.info>wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 5:03 PM, Stephen Holt <sholt at adium.im> wrote:
> >
> > On Jan 11, 2011, at 2:59 PM, Christopher Forsythe wrote:
> >
> >> Can any of the libraries be taken out of adium in order to reduce this
> >> number?
> >

> > libglib is the big one, and no - libpurple depends on libglib.
> >

> That's fine, I'd just need to start preparing to find all of these
> people and making a list.
>
> Do we know what kind of permission we'd need to ask for? Is something
> like this adequate? "hey, we want make adium easier to download for
> users, and we have to do x, y, and z to do that. We need your
> permission in order to do that. Is it ok?"
>
> Is the intention to put Adium in the store for free or for sale?

This isn't going to happen, there's a huge amount of people who have
contributed to the projects. If even only one of them isn't contactable or
reachable it's gone. We basically need to relicense a core set of GPL
libraries and that isn't going to happen.

It would be free.

I'm going to write a blogpost and hopefully have our users spam Apple with
complaints. Not much more we can do.

Zac