GPL and the Mac App Store

BJ Homer bjhomer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 23:32:03 UTC 2011

</lurk>

While we're talking about crazy ideas, I know there was a project called
ChatKit a while ago. As I understood it, it was essentially going to
implement the various IM protocols in Obj-C and provide a simple Obj-C API
for them. (I believe Adium developers were involved in it, so please correct
me if I'm wrong.) If that's the case… well, would anyone have interest in
resurrecting that project? If libpurple is the dependency dependency that
prohibits inclusion in the Mac App Store, is it worth investigating
replacing it?

I acknowledge that this wouldn't be a quick solution; petitioning Apple to
make the App Store licensing terms GPL-compatible in the meantime is not a
bad option. But if that doesn't happen… well, how badly do people want Adium
to be on the Mac App Store? If a framework like ChatKit were the only
option, is there enough interest in the Mac App Store to explore that option
again?

I'd be willing to help. I've been needing a good open source project to work
on for a while.

-BJ