Icon update proposal

Christopher Forsythe chris at growl.info
Thu Jan 27 02:03:28 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 6:46 AM, Robert Vehse <robert.vehse at gmx.de> wrote:
> In all, I'm pretty happy with the results of the vote.
>
> I was surprised the two current icons for OTR got the most votes of the three (even if just by a small margin). I find they look cheap and plasticky.
>
> Plus, I very much disagree with the megaphone imagery for notify.png. It may suit the word "notify", but it seems misplaced for the function that this icon name actually represents: nudge (MSN) / buzz (Yahoo) (or think of "poking" on Facebook).

<snip>

I think the fact that you agree, and then are pointing out where you
don't agree is probably a sentiment shared by a few others. I think
the vote was a positive thing. However I believe the voting caused
some of the disagreements  and provides a way to resolve some of
disagreements all in one brush stroke.

I would propose that since Bogden's artwork is the "winner" for most
of the categories (the page isn't up right now or I could say how
many), that he should finish the rest of the artwork. However, I
propose this with a few caveats:

- Artwork where Bogden's artwork is the clear winner should get a
single pass review of keep/not keep. The expectation is that
all/almost all will be kept.
- Artwork where Bogden's artwork is not the clear winner (a 60/40/0 or
50/50/0 or something of the like) should be reviewed in 2 passes.
- Artwork where Bogden's artwork is not the clear winner should take a
leaning towards Bogden perhaps redoing the artwork to better fit
towards the winning artwork's basic layout.

Essentially my thought here is that at this point in order for the
artwork to look cohesive, a single person has to finish the set.

Chris