Voice (and Video)

George Lambrou georgelambrou721 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 02:25:57 UTC 2011

On Jan 25, 11, at 8.25 pm, Evan Schoenberg, M.D. wrote:

> I think one thing we need to address is whether we intend for voice/video to be a part of the text chat window or whether it's always an independent thing.  The black HUD appearance George showed here could be really cool as a separate floating window, but I don't know if it would fit in with a standard messaging window (at least as it currently appears).

Alterations can always be made, and I think I'm going to go back and retouch the aesthetic a bit anyway, to better fit with the rest of OS X (the Lion issue again).

> Could you explain what you mean by the slider grip acting as mute button?

If the user were to click and hold the slider grip, they could drag it around, change the volume as normal. If they just click on it, though, it acts as a button, muting that volume. Although, since the release of FaceTime for Mac, I'm wondering whether even having those sliders on the window is necessary at all; FaceTime does a brilliant job of video chat, without the need for them. Hiding them somewhere could work, too, but it might be something to consider to ditch them entirely.

> The decibel level within the slider itself is an inspired dual-purposing of the control.  Out of curiosity, have you seen that done somewhere else, or is that a new UI paradigm?

The volume slider taskbar item in Windows 7. Sure, it's from Microsoft, but when I saw it, I thought it was a good idea, one that would be really well suited to this purpose. That's okay, right?

>> Floating Window Mode: <snip>
>

> I would expect close to end the call, I think... I'd handle redocking via drag-and-drop, just as we can redock tabs that have been pulled into other windows or new windows.

I was unsure about what the close button should do as well. My reasoning behind making it a redocking control was that as the floating bar would be part of a multi-window setup, closing the bar would be different from closing the application; Adium would still be running, and the user might just want to cut down on the number of windows they'd have open. If they were to close the floating window, the chat could still continue without cluttering up the user's desktop, similar to closing the iTunes window when you know you're just gonna leave it playing for an hour or two. And of course, redocking via drag and drop would be there too.

>> <I have more>
>
> I'd love to see them, and here is definitely the most appropriate place.

I just posted a new mockup in the Message Window Proposal thread for the team's review.

George Lambrou