Preference Reduction 2011: Planned Removals

Christopher Forsythe chris at growl.info
Sun Jul 31 20:25:08 UTC 2011

My concern is 2 fold:

1) If you are just blindly removing preferences while instead not trying to
make Adium smarter about how it handles things, then that's not very
beneficial. My favorite example is as follows:

The is a way in Adium preferences so that tabs will be grouped together in
windows by the groups in the contact list. If Adium instead detected in the
background that users were grouping by the groups in the contact list, then
it could silently start performing this behavior. If a user then starts
pulling tabs out differently, disable the behavior.

2) You have no statistics as to what users enable/disable/fiddle with. This
is all based on opinions/conjecture. There is already infrastructure in
place that would help to collect at least some of this sort of information.

My problem here is that if only .001 percent of adium users configure more
than just new xtras to use and accounts, then this seems like a lot of work
for very little gain to me.

Chris