iChat in Adium!
UPDATE: April fool. 😉
We’re pleased to announce, jointly with the ChatKit project and Apple, that Adium (powered by ChatKit) will replace iChat in Leopard.
A future version of Adium, with ChatKit installed, is now running and working in prerelease builds of Mac OS X 10.5. These builds are currently only available to the Adium and ChatKit development teams. Here are some screenshots:
(courtesy of ChatKit developer Ofri Wolfus)
(courtesy of Growl project lead and Adium project manager Christopher Forsythe)
That’s right — iChat’s video support has been merged into ChatKit, and Adium can thereby use it. It’s the best of all three worlds!
Other features of the merged Adium-ChatKit-iChat experience:
- Buzz support, integrates with your iPod (now you can be BUZZed on the go!)
- External Buzz: Adium can knock on your friends’ doors to let them know they have messages waiting (requires external hardware, not included)
- Security feature: contact list moves away from your mouse cursor, making it impossible for unauthorized users to double-click on your contacts
- Pink Adiumy
- Boredom meter measures time since last message; can be configured to ring when the conversation is getting too boring
- Intel Core Duo
- Smart contact list groups with iTunes integration
- Wireless integration with iPod’s games: Play games like Brick and Music Quiz over IM
- .Mac synchronization
- Live graphics
- Close widgets have been freshly polished
- Click wheel
- Built-in disc-burning support — IM on the go!
- Support for IM over RFC 1149 transports (with the Duck-Pigeon Adapter)
- Even more tasty sandwiches
Some features are still in development, and will come in a future (post-Leopard) release:
- Electroshock buzz (requires external power supply and plug-in)
- IM over Blu-Ray (requires that both you and your contact be downhill from each other)
- Interplanetary IM